Friday, June 24, 2011

(Wo)Man Vs. Food

This is my 100th post.  It is a combination of my feelings on a really bad day and my feelings now.  What you see below is a description of how I felt last Sunday evening.  I was two seconds away from getting horribly back off track again.  I decided I was going to start blogging about it.  I wrote down everything I was feeling at the time and I saved it on my blog and didn't publish it.  I went back and looked at it several times this week and just thought about it some more.  I will let you read it and then I will attempt to make sense of my food feelings.  So, here it goes...


This afternoon I made a huge mistake.  I was watching TV in my room.  I had just had a delicious healthy snack of hummus veggies and some cracker crisps.  I was watching trashy mindless TV shows because I had already worked out and cleaned the house and I was just taking some much needed "me" time.


I ran out of shows to watch, so I started to scan the channels searching for something else to occupy my time.  I ended up stopping at Man vs. Food.  He was in Philadelphia and was on his typical spree to find the biggest, greasiest most delicious food that he could.  I was intrigued.  I have never been to Philadelphia.  Maybe I want to go there?  Hmmm, what do they have to eat that is so special.  I watched the entire program.


As the show ended I sat there thinking to myself.  I want some french fries.  I NEED some french fries.  Or maybe some Nachos?  Salty chips could be good too.  If have the salt though I am going to need the sweet. Dairy queen has a brownie batter blizzard.  I love that slice of chocolate cake from the bakery down the street.  I became obsessed with thinking about food.  Maybe I could just have a small fry.  Or a few chips and some chocolate. Or better yet, maybe I could just "take the night off" .  Weekends are meant to be bad.  One bad night won't matter in the big picture.


LIES.  It is all a great big lie.  I want the chips and the fries and the chocolate.  I can't have them.  It kills me that I do not yet have the willpower right now to eat unhealthy foods in moderation.  I am not strong enough to only have one or two.  I know that I am only one fast food run away from a binge.  If I get a bag of chips I will eat them all in one sitting.  I could eat a whole piece of cake no problem, with no guilt.


I hate that food is such a problem for me.  I know if losing weight was easy everyone would be skinny.  I get it.  It is really hard.  It is hard for me.  I want to be healthy.  I want to lose weight, to be thin. I want  so bad, but I want it to not be so hard.  I know at the end of this when I look back on these struggles I will think that it was all worth it.  That I went through all of those hard times to finally get to the end of this battle.

Last night was another "close call".  I got home from work and was about to make dinner when I got sidetracked.  All of a sudden it was 7:15 and I hadn't eaten dinner.  The thought of Wendy's was haunting me.  I grabbed my keys and my wallet and I got in my car.  I decided that Wendy's was bad, I should get something else.  I should go to Subway.  Then I thought, "McDonalds is across from Subway... maybe I could just get a four piece chicken nugget and a small fry."  I drove past the Golden Arches and parked at Subway.  I ordered a sandiwch.  I got baked chips.  I got in my car dreading driving past the Golden Arches again.  I thought about the french fries again.  I kept driving.  I got home and as I pulled in my garage I literally said out loud, "that was close."  It was.  Too close, but yet I am not writing to you to tell you that I have fallen off plan.  I am here to say that I am human.  I am here to say that my willpower is not always iron clad, but it is growing stronger everyday.  It gets easier everyday.


Right now I am in a back and forth battle with food and with myself.  Right now is really just the beginning of a long road.  Right now I am stronger than I was yesterday, but not as strong as I will be tomorrow. Right now I have lost 7 pounds this week.  Right now I feel the fire.  Right now I am in control of my life, my body, my weight and it feels GOOD!

So, this is me right now.  On my 100th post I am still 20 pounds down (27 if you count my new 7 pounds) from  my first post, but I have many pounds to go.  So, thanks to all of you for reading and supporting me through my many ups and downs.  Sometimes, the support that I get from all of you helps me to keep going when I just want to quit.  As a thank you I am going to give away two Target gift cards.  All you have to do is comment on this post about why you like to read my blog.  I will accept comments until 8:00 a.m. on Monday June 27th.  At that time I will pick a winner, conatact you for your address and mail you your gift card. :)  Easy peasy.  No more posts until Monday.  Happy weekend!                                  

11 comments:

  1. I have a hard time watching shows like that - no matter what they're doing, it triggers me. Which sucks, because that channel is almost always on at THE GYM of all places! There's nothing so satisfying, though, as the feeling of beating a craving with sheer willpower. It's an incredible strength. ♥ Enjoy your weekend, congrats on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME that you resisted McDonalds AND said no to the junk after watching TV. I have the same battles going on in my head all the time. Sometimes they get the better of me, and sometimes they don't. Every time they don't, we are one step closer to our goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am from UK and can't enter for your Target gift card but I love your blog anyway because you are real and write it like it is and you make me think.
    I totally agree not eating all those lovely tempting foods is HARD, I agree dieting and being hungry and wanting food is HARD, feeling like there is forever to go to reach goal is HARD.
    But being fat, and hating clothes and being red and hot and uncomfortable is HARD, being judged by others but mostly by yourself is HARD, being limited in what you can wear and achieve is HARD, giving up all the things you want to do because you are too fat is HARD.
    The well known old saying, dieting is hard. being fat is hard, choose your hard.....is so true isn't it.
    We are choosing our hard and at times it IS hard but with support and encouragement we will get there
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up with those shows? I just hate them, but oh I love to watch them. It must stimulate some major fatty neurons and they all start firing and man I get hungry. Watching it wasn't a 'mistake' as you called it - it was a moment meant to teach you perspective. Stay on track, you are so worth it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first visit to your blog and this post really struck me. I love the paragraph where you talk about right now! I can hear determination. Food is an issue for me too. And, maybe you won't be surprised that I watch some cooking competition shows and they always make me want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the posts and weight loss!! I love your blog bc you are honest and truthful about your struggles and also your successes!! And you always look for the lesson to be learned. You strive for greatness!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. new to your blog (and blogland in general), but this is exactly what i needed to read tonight! thanks for being so honest :)

    have a great weekend!


    www.atemyinnerskinny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! It's something I could have written... the struggle and the thought process is complex and annoyingly hard. I'm right there with yah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you decided to post this. Sometimes we need to see it in writing so that it becomes real to us, instead of just something else that we end up justifying. I am known to do that, however I end up just pushing it away and not think about it at all. Be proud of yourself. You've accomplished a lot. And you are not alone (I know you know that already, still it doesn't hurt to be reminded, right?). BTW, you were my inspiration for my blog post today (Monday). Stop by if you get a chance. BIG hugs to you today, and good thoughts for a strong week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little behind in my reading, but had to stop by and say "love this post"! Love your honesty and insight. Congratulations on 100 posts....cheers to 100 more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOrry i am late i have been trying to post comments but having issues. So we all have bad days like that they suck but you rocked going past the golden arches - i turned in on Sunday. Congrats on 100 posts and 20 pounds! you are on a great journey you will make it. remember there are ups and downs of every journey!! I have found that i focus on 10 pounds milestones..So i started at 263.8 i focused on getting to 260 then 250, 240.....its made it feel more manageable! :)

    ReplyDelete