Monday, August 1, 2011

The Underdogs

My nephew was the 6th seed in a tournament of 8 teams and somehow last night they found themselves playing the championship game.  It is the ultimate comeback story that everyone loves to see.  I was sitting outside in the blistering heat and humidity yesterday watching these 8 year old boys play their hearts out on both teams and conducting themselves in a fashion that most adults don't even practice. 

My nephews team ultimately got second place, but they were ecstatic!  The parents, coaches and fans were all so excited to see how far this team had come.  It really was impressive considering at the beginning of the season we were lucky to have every 6th kid actually hit a ball.

When I was watching the end of the game I was astonished to see what great sportsmanship both teams had and how genuine their "good game" handshakes were.  There was no bitterness, no blaming others for mistakes and no pouting.  To say that I was impressed was an under statement.  These 8 year old boys had more respect and tact than I had ever seen before.  They played hard, they celebrated hard and they won or lost respectfully.

You may ask yourself what this has to do with weight loss.  Well, the answer for me is that sometimes I get so discouraged when I workout with others or see them progressing further than me.  I would say that at times I am even jealous or envious of them and their accomplishements.  I find myself discouraged, making excuses and finding reasons why weight loss must be easier for them. 

After the game yesterday my sister had us all over for a BBQ and I really started to think about the boys and their performances and how they were the underdogs and somehow they came back against all odds.  I want to be the person that overcomes my weight against all odds.  I want to keep pushing and keep learning and never give up.  I want to stop making excuses and start making choices.  I want to say more, "I can" and "I will" and less, "next time" and "someday".  I am only the underdog in this weight loss journey if I allow myself to be one.  I can be just as successful as anyone else trying to lose weight.  I can come back from this and I am working towards that goal.  One day, one work out and one smart choice at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool way of looking at weight loss. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete